Monday, September 22, 2003
The Iraq Problem
Mistake 1 - Senate and House of Representatives vote to give Bush carte blanche to start a war with Iraq.
Mistake 2 - Bush preemptively attacks Iraq and starts the Iraq war based on very poor pre-war intelligence or the very poor interpretation of that intelligence and without UN approval while alienating long time allies and destroying US credibility across the world.
As a result
- Hundreds of US troops and thousands of Iraqi civilians are killed
- US spends hundreds of billions of dollars to fight Iraq war
- US spends hundreds of billions of dollars to reconstruct Iraq
- Iraqi industries are essentially auctioned off to foreign companies before Iraq can get its balance to control its own future.
The Iraq Solution
Allow the UN to control Iraq reconstruction. This gains back some US credibility with the world while reducing the huge US financial burden in Iraq at a time when the US labor market, power industries and homeland security need critical attention and funding.
Or how to spend $20 billion
(the non-troop portion of the latest $87 billion for Iraq reconstruction)
- Iraq Reconstruction with foreign companies/workers in Iraq
- Iraq Reconstruction with US companies/workers in Iraq
- US Reconstruction and Security with US companies/workers in US
wo 9:31 AM - [Link] - Comments ()